20.6.13

You Will Not Even Believe How Fucking Awesome This Melanie Song Is


Last week my best friend and I were sitting on a patio- she was drinking a half-litre of white wine; I had 2 pints of sangria- and we remembered back to a couple summers ago, when we thought of our legendary idea for a PARK-CITY. We thought of it when we saw that Toronto's slogan is "A city within a park," which we called bullshit on, and we thought, and were stoned: "What if there really was a city within a park, or rather that was a park," and last Thursday we sat on the patio mimicking our stoned selves stonedly saying "The streets would be a park" and "The shops would be a park," "The cafes would be a park,"- like, imagine if it was all a park. All of it. Only now we're smarter and older, so I decided to write it down: 

 DREAM PARK-CITY 

- it's all a park 
- "Park City" (working title) 
- green space tree canopy 
- vegetable gardens: "Your market is the garden" 
- cafes bars streets "bookshops" 
-outdoor markets 
-as much outdoor as possible 
-taken care of 
-PEOPLE WOULD BE COOL AND HAVE MURALS ON THEIR HOUSES 
-no cigs. weed farm weed encouraged 
-benches 
-no cars 
-public transit so good makes taxis unnecessary 
-bike lanes stroller disability lanes 
-separate buses STORAGE (just bought appliance lrg) 
-dog runs 
-picnic tables 
-BEST PLAYGROUND EVER cool wood playground creative artistic 
-ART EVERYWHERE 
-mobiles made out of recycled shit

Next I went across the street to a record store, a plain white record store with no illustrations on the walls and very few labels explaining what genre of music the records you were looking at were or what letter of the alphabet the artist who sung them name's began with. But I decided to commit to being there. I bought Living In The Material World by George Harrison and a record called John Lennon For President, for aesthetic purposes, Cosmic Wheels by Donovan (I had a cool convo with the cute old man owner about Cosmic Wheels being "nerdy," which I wholeheartedly feel is the most accurate way to describe Cosmic Wheels) and then I found this Melanie record, Garden In The City, which was obviously a SIGN FROM THE UNIVERSE telling me, I don't know, that I like parks. 




I also really like Melanie's dog a lot. Anyway, Garden In The City was a great investment; it's got a really cool chilled out cover of Jigsaw Puzzle by the Rolling Stones:



but People In The Front Row, the one at the top, is the one that you will not even believe how fucking awesome it is; it's so awesome, in fact, that I was just about to go leave my house and lie on the grass in some sunshine but then I was like NOPE I need to enlighten all my pals who read this blog so here you go and enjoy! I'll be in a PARK if you need me. 

-Laura Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment